CARS will gladly arrange tours for high school and college students and for the general public. In a typical year, more than 100 visitors tour CARS.
Tours usually include a short presentation on how the Advanced Photon Source works and the kind of research we do at CARS, followed by visits to one or more of our sectors. If no experiment is in progress, visitors can enter an experimental station. Tours can also include a stop at the observation decks of the APS, which give a birds-eye view of the synchrotron ring.
Advance notice is required because of restrictions on site access. (Tuesday is a good day to visit, because the machine is shut down and lots of impressive equipment can be opened to view!) We can accommodate groups of 25 or fewer people.
- For tours of Argonne, contact Argonne's tour coordinator at (630) 252-5562 or email@example.com.
Selected Recent Tour Groups
- high-school juniors and seniors, Chicago Botanic Garden College First program
- University of Science and Technology of China students
- high-school girls, Science Careers in Search of Women (Argonne event)
- engineering students, Ecole de Mine
- University of Louisville students and professor
- University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point students and professors
- Physics students, University of South Florida
- Physics students, Wartburg College
- Physics students, University of Dayton
- undergraduate students, College of DuPage